Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Plans.......


School...... Homeschool.....

I knew it needed to be God-directed; it needed to be visual;   it needed to be FUN;  it needed to be high interest;  it needed to be high energy; it needed to include movement;  it needed to be in small "sessions"; it needed to be important to Nevin and it needed to be about LIFE.   

I knew I wanted Nevin to be able to use his energy to LEARN, not have to use his energy to "control himself" while he waited in lines (line at the water fountain; line to go out for recess;  line to come in from recess ..... no, wait... not sure he ever actually got in that line; line in the lunchroom, line to go to the bus; etc. etc.).    If we were going to prioritize his life, his "time"...... I didn't want to waste anymore time learning to function in an institutional setting like school...... I wanted him to learn to function in our home, in our family and in our community.

One of the "casualties" was Nevin mission to teach others......  his peers.  I felt sad for his classmates.   But, I had to remind myself, that in that setting....... he wasn't able to teach them about his potential..... in fact, he was struggling so much to function in that setting that he was teaching them more of his limitations.  

3 comments:

  1. Please share more. I have home schooled Graces three older siblings the past twenty something years. When we were in the process of adopting her I never imagined I would even think of homeschooling her. But God had other plans. We have had grace home for two years and have worked diligently on bonding, communication-ASL and the basics. She is so delayed due to being raised in an orphanage and regresses in many public situations. It seems impossible to consider public school as an option. I have been trying to research options for this upcoming school year and have found your sweet blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found you again!!!!! Keep writing ... but I miss the old updates! This is a great idea tho! Why don't you list it up there on the 31 for 21?! I great way to get started! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! Laurie, I found you! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE keep blogging! We who are behind you on this path would thank you! You have so much wisdom and experience to offer!

    ReplyDelete